Special Educational Needs

School SENCo - Mrs Harriet Pilling - h.pilling@st-lawrence.lancs.sch.uk

The school Statement of Intent forms the basis of all that we do.  Regardless of need, we endeavour to learn together and we are rooted in God in all that we do.   We follow the Code of Practice 2014 and a graduated response. This means that in each instance, quality first teaching is expected for each child.  If a child makes less than expected progress, we will put in place further measures to differentiate and support learning informally in class.  This may progress to informal group learning for a sustained period of time.  If the child still does not make progress despite the aforementioned  provisions, then an IEP or other service may be suggested to narrow the gap.


As with all children, children with special educational needs are provided for utilising methods that are best suited to their individual needs where possible.  Learning can take a variety of forms including : kinaesthetic, spatial, auditory and linguistic) and we ensure that a variety of techniques are applied to teaching to engage each learner and ensure the best outcomes regardless of special educational need.  Steps of learning may be broken down into much smaller steps to ensure a child with special educational needs can make progress.  We may take learning outside the classroom for particular children and may bind more than one learning aspect together for example : a child may be outside playing bounce with a ball and learning to count in 1s or 2s at the same time as each bounce takes place (hitting both physical and mathematical learning targets).


If a child needs extra provision, this may take the form of one or some of the following :

·         PIVATs. 

·         Individual Education Plan (IEP)

·         Small group work

PIVATS:  This system is a series of very small steps which build to make an overarching goal of learning.  If a child uses PIVATs, these are reviewed regularly each half term, and new targets are set for the forthcoming half term.

IEP:  This is used when a child makes less than expected progress or has an area of difficulty.  The child will be placed on the Special Educational Needs Register with consent from parents.  The child will receive daily 1:1 support to address IEP targets.

Small group work: If a child or a group of children need further reinforcement, they may take part in an informal group to secure particular learning steps.


There are four broad areas of SEND, these are:

Communication and Interaction: This area of need includes children with Autism Spectrum Condition and those with Speech, Language and Communication Needs

Cognition and Learning: This includes children with Specific Learning Difficulties, Moderate Learning Difficulties, Severe Learning Difficulties and Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties

Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties: This includes any pupils who have an emotional, social or mental health need that is impacting on their ability to learn

Sensory and/or Physical Difficulties: This area includes children with hearing impairment, visual impairment, multi-sensory impairment and physical difficulties

Our SEN policy can be found in the Policies section of our website. 

Where else can I find help and support?

Lancashire County Council issue a quarterly newsletter. The SEND Newsletter (previously called FIND) is for parents and carers of, and professionals working with, children and young people with special educational needs and/or a disability (SEND). The newsletters contain a wealth of useful information and links to local support groups and facilities. 

Download the latest issue at: https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/children-education-families/special-educational-needs-and-disabilities/getting-help/send-newsletter/

Parents and carers can also sign up for a regular copy at the link above. Professionals can email FIND@lancashire.gov.uk to be added to the regular mailing list.

Who to Contact if You Have a Complaint, Concern or Query About a Child With a Special Need or Disability

The first contact for parents will always be the child’s class teacher unless the incident is deemed as serious, in which case this should be escalated to the Headteacher or Deputy Headteacher . The school operates an open door policy. Parents are welcome to talk to staff at an appropriate time but longer conversations will need an appointment.

Communication between school and home

Visits to the school by prospective parents are warmly welcomed. Please contact the school office to make an appointment so that you can be sure of our undivided attention. 

An induction meeting for new parents is held in Summer Term

Parents' Evenings are held each term. This gives parents the opportunity to meet with the teacher and discuss progress. However, if you have a concern, please do not wait for a Parents' Evening to bring it to our attention! We believe that any problems, no matter how small they may seem, are best dealt with ASAP. Depending on the nature of the problem, please contact either your child's class teacher, the school SENCO (Mrs Pilling) or the Headteacher (Mrs Goodwin) 

Reports - Interim reports are sent out at Christmas and Easter. In July, children receive their annual full report. 

Individual Education Plans (IEP’s) are sent home at the beginning of each term alongside any evaluated IEP’s from the previous term. 

Parents receive a text message when a child has met a target from their IEP and the next steps are shared via an annotated IEP. We believe that success should be shared and celebrated immediately.


What is a complaint? A concern or complaint will be investigated if it is an expression of dissatisfaction about: the conduct/operation of the school, the conduct, actions or lack of action by a member of staff, the Governing Body or an individual governor, an unacceptable delay in dealing with a matter, the unreasonable treatment of a pupil or other person 

How do I make a complaint? A concern or complaint should be made in person, by telephone or in writing to the Headteacher at the School. If the complaint is about the Headteacher or a Governor it should be referred to the Chair of Governors of the school. A complaint made to a Governor, Local Authority Officer or Councillor, the Education Department at County Hall or to a local Area Education Office will be referred to the Headteacher or Chair of Governors, as appropriate, for investigation. Anonymous complaints cannot be dealt with unless they are about very serious matters. 

How are complaints investigated? The aim of the Complaints Procedure is to resolve the matter as speedily as possible. First the Headteacher will try to establish the facts and respond to your complaint. Most matters can usually be dealt with in this way. If this does not resolve the matter to your satisfaction, there is a further formal stage. You will be asked to put your complaint in writing and a further investigation will be undertaken by the Headteacher. In the case of a complaint about the Headteacher, or a Governor the matter will be dealt with by the Chair of Governors. 

What if I am still not satisfied? You can appeal to a special Committee of the Governing Body of the school. You may, if you wish, have the opportunity to attend and put your case to the Committee. The Committee will inform you of their final decision. 

Feedback - Parents can offer feedback in a variety of ways : parent questionnaires, email or verbally.  Parents and children with a Statement or Education Health Care Plan are asked to forward their views in writing for annual reviews. You can also offer feedback on the Parent View website

Files to Download


Pupils at St Lawrence Church of England Primary School are easy to distinguish by the personal qualities they present.They are happy, confident, articulate children with a love of learning.


St Lawrence CE Primary School
Jepps Ave, Barton, Preston
Louise Higham
01772 862664

Student Login