SEND Information Report

SEN Information Report for Children with Special Educational Needs and / or Disabilities

Barton St.Lawrence is a mainstream Church of England (VA) Primary School with a nursery provision attached and wraparound care on site.  The school has a part-time SENCo.

All Lancashire maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.  All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with a Special Educational Need/s and or disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible, where families want this to happen.

The information below forms the school’s SEN Information Report, detailing ways in which parents and children may access the support required.

Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning / Special Educational Needs/Disability? And how can I talk to them about my child if I need to?

Class Teacher / Subject Leader (he/she is recommended as the first point of contact if you have any concerns)

S/he is responsible for:

           Ensuring that all children have access to good / outstanding teaching and that the curriculum is adapted to meet your child’s individual needs (also known as differentiation).

         Monitoring the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support, adapting resources etc..) and discussing amendments with the SENCo as necessary.

         Writing Personal Learning Plans (PLP) or Individual Education Plans (IEPs). Evaluating these whenever needed, but at least once a term and ensuring parents are aware of the child’s progress towards these targets when these documents are reviewed. 

          Ensuring that all members of staff working with your child in school are aware of your child’s individual needs and / or conditions and what specific adjustments need to be made to enable them to be included and to make progress.  This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.

           Ensuring that the school’s SEN Policy is followed in their classroom for all the pupils they teach with SEN or Disabilities.

The Class or Subject Leader can be contacted at the end of the school day.  To arrange an appointment, please telephone school.

The Special Educational Needs and Disability Co-Ordinator (SENCo)

She is responsible for:

          Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs (SEN) and / or disabilities, and developing the school’s SEN Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.

           Ensuring that you are :

1.     Involved in supporting your child’s learning

2.     Kept informed about the support your child is receiving

3.     Involved in reviewing how they are progressing

4.     Fully involved in planning ahead for them

           Liaising with all other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning eg. Speech and language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc.

           Updating the school’s SEN record of need, (a system for ensuring all the special educational, physical and sensory needs of pupils in this school are known and understood) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.

          Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help your child (and other pupils with SEN and/or disabilities in the school) to achieve their potential.

           Supporting your child’s class teacher to write Personal Learning Plans (PLP), also sometimes called Individual Education Plan (IEP) that specify the targets set for your child to achieve.

           Organising training of staff so they are aware and confident about how to meet the needs of your child and others within school.

Our SENCo can be contacted either through your child’s class teacher, or by arranging an appointment through the school office; the SENCO’s email address is available on the school’s website to contact directly.  A SEN surgery is available on a Friday morning between 9.30 and 10.30 for existing children with an identified need.

Head Teacher

She is responsible for:

           The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes support for children with SEN and/or disabilities. She will give responsibility to the SENCo and class / subject leaders but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.

           She must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEN and/ or disabilities.

Our Head Teacher can be contacted via our website or through our school secretary.


How could my child get help in school?

Children in school will get support that is specific to their individual needs.  This may be all  provided by the class teacher or may involve:

·Other staff in the school

·Staff who will visit the school from the Local Authority central services such as our Outreach Team or Sensory Service (for pupils with a hearing or visual need)

·Staff who visit from outside agencies such as Speech and Language Therapy (SaLT) Service.

·Other agencies that the school see fit to seek support or information from relating to your child’s specific needs

Type of SEN support provided What would this mean for your child? Who can get this kind of support?
Class teacher input via good / outstanding classroom teaching

           The teacher will have the highest expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.

           All teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.

           Putting in place different ways of teaching, adapted to your child’s learning style.

           Putting in place specific support strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo or staff from outside agencies).

All children in school receive this.
Teaching Assistant (TA) may be allocated to some pupils with SEN and/or disabilities

A Teaching Assistant (TA) may be allocated to a pupil with exceptional educational needs and/or disabilities.  A TA may also be allocated to support the delivery of a PEP/IEP.  Whilst they take a very valuable role in your child’s education, we would prefer that questions regarding your child’s learning and progress are directed to either the class teacher or the SENCo, as they are both fully involved in any support offered and make decisions, in conjunction with the parents, on the type of support and activities.

A child may receive support from a number of adults and a conversation with the class teacher or SENCo will give you a fuller picture  than may be obtained from a single supporting adult.


Specific small group work : Group Education Plans (GEP)

Following a graduated response to a child’s needs, a  group of children with similar needs may be supported with differentiated learning which is either:

·Run in the classroom or outside

·Run by a teacher or (most often) a Teaching Assistant who has received support and guidance to run these groups

These are sometimes called intervention groups.

           Your child’s teacher will have identified a gap in their understanding / learning and planned some extra support to close the gap between your child and their peers.

           S/he will plan targets to help your child to make more progress.

           A Teaching Assistant  / teacher (or outside professional – like a Speech and Language Therapist) will run these sessions using the teacher’s plans, or a recommended programme.

Any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject / area of learning.

Individual Support via a Personal Education Plan (PEP/IEP)

This is usually provided via a PEP/IEP.  This means your child has been identified by the SENCo as needing further 1:1 provision to direct support.  This is given daily, usually with a TA, and can range from 20 to 30 minutes per day.

          If your child has been identified as needing further individual input in addition to good / outstanding classroom teaching, then a PEP/IEP may be put in place.

           Intervention will be personalised to the needs of your child and the SENCo will monitor closely the outcomes of provision

A Teaching Assistant or Teacher may deliver these sessions.  PEP/IEP’s are generated at the beginning of each term and reviewed at the end of the term.  Copies of targets are sent home to parents.  If your child needs this specific type of support, a conversation will take place regarding placing your child on the SEN Register (consent must be agreed; children can be on or off the SEN Register at various times throughout their school life depending upon their needs at the time).

Any child who has specific needs that cannot be met through small group work. Any child who has barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through good / outstanding teaching or through small group work.

Specified Individual Support for your child

This type of provision is usually specified via an Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP) (previously known as a Statement of Special Educational Needs).  This means that your child will have been identified by the class teacher / SENCo as needing a particularly high level of individual and / or small group teaching (more than 20 hours a week), which cannot be provided from the resources already delegated to the school. The Local Authority grant EHCPs.

Usually, if your child requires this high level of support, they may also need specialist help in school from a professional outside the school.  This may be from:

·Local Authority central services such as the Outreach team or Sensory Services (hearing or visual needs)

·Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language (SaLT) or Occupational Health (OT) services, Physiotherapy and/or CAMHS (Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services).

·Other agencies such as outreach schools, used for advice and guidance within the mainstream setting.

           The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs.  This is a legal process and you can find more details about this through Lancashire County Council’s Local Offer on the Lancashire website at :

           After the school has sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seems complex enough to need an EHCP.  If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs.  If the request is denied, the school will continue with SEN support.  After the reports have all been sent in, the Local Authority, the school, health representatives and parents, will all decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need more than 20 hours of support in school to make good progress.  If this is the case, they will write an EHCP.  If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with SEN support and also set up a meeting in school to enable your child to make as much progress as possible.

           The EHCP will outline the number of hours of individual / small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used along with what strategies must be put in place.  It will also have long and short term goals for your child.

           The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

How will we support your child with identified special needs starting school?

           If your child has been allocated a place in our Foundation Stage (Reception) class via the LA and they have special educational needs and/or disability, please contact us as soon as you receive the offer as we may not have the details of their need at this stage.

           We will firstly invite you to visit the school with your child to have a look around and to speak to staff.

           If other professionals are involved, a team around the family (TAF) meeting will be held to discuss your child’s needs, share strategies used, and ensure provision is put in place before your child starts.

           Your child’s key worker may make a home visit.  The Reception teacher will arrange to visit your child if they are attending another provision; this will automatically happen if your child is starting in the school Foundation Stage class.  If your child is new to another year group, this may be arranged depending on the child’s needs.

           We may suggest adaptations to the setting your child is educated in to help your child to settle more easily but these will be agreed with you at the TAF meeting.

           All children beginning their Reception year in school will be invited into school in advance of starting to meet the staff they will be working with and their peer group.  These sessions are called ‘induction’.  Sometimes, a child with special educational needs may need more visits than other children without special educational needs; this will be discussed at the TAF meeting.

           The class teacher will arrange an early meeting with you to review your child’s learning, following the settling in period.

           The staff will then hold regular meetings in school to monitor the progress of your child and invite you into school at least once a term to review this with you.

How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

           If you have concerns, we recommend you speak to your child’s class teacher initially, and at the earliest opportunity.

           The class teacher will discuss this with you and if appropriate suggest and work on possible strategies.  If you both agree that the child’s needs are greater, then the class teacher will refer your child to the SENCo and contact you for a meeting.

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

           If there are any concerns about your child’s progress, and targeted teaching has not met the child’s needs, the teacher will raise this with the SENCo.

           The teacher will discuss your child’s progress with you at our termly parents’ evenings when you will be informed of your child’s progress and any additional support being given.  We may also ask to arrange an individual appointment in the Autumn term, when parents’ evenings are less formal.

           School has meetings each term between class teachers and senior members of staff in school to ensure all children are making good progress.  This is another way your child may be identified as not making as much progress as expected.

           If your child is then identified as not making progress the school will make a decision about whether to monitor this or set up some support and will inform you.  Support may take place for a short period or over a longer period of time. (However, please note that all children learn regularly in small groups in class, sometimes with Teaching Assistants, in order to support their progress in learning; you will automatically be notified if there are any concerns about your child’s progress).

           If your child is still not making progress, the school will discuss with you:

              *Any concerns you may have

              *Discuss with you any further interventions or referrals to

                outside professionals to support your child’s learning

                *Discuss how we could work together, to support your child at


How is extra support allocated to children?

           The school budget, received from Lancashire County Council, includes money for supporting children with SEN.

           The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of the needs about SEND in school, including:

            *Children receiving extra support already

            *Children needing extra support

            *Children who have been identified as not making as much

              progress as would be expected

           All resources / training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as necessary.

Support may be given in a variety of ways and is sometimes designed to encourage the child to develop the skills of independent learning and build confidence as well as supporting their maximum progress; your child’s individual support will be discussed with you regularly.

Who are the other people providing services to children with SEN in this school?


           Teaching Assistants

           Play Therapist

           Wellcomm speech trained staff

           Additional Educational Psychology input to provide a higher level of service to the school

           1:1 or small group teachers

           Emotional support via Child Action North West or WEHPS


           Outreach service provided by Lancashire County Council

           Speech and Language therapy (provided by health but paid for by the Local Authority)

           Occupational Therapy

           Professional training for school staff to deliver medical interventions

           Behaviour advice service

           Parent Partnership Service (to support families through the SEND processes and procedures).


           School nurse

How are the adults in school helped to work with children with an SEND and what training do they have?

           The SENCO’s job is to support the class teacher in planning and delivering lessons for children with SEND.

           The school has a development plan, including identified training needs for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND.  This may include whole school training on SEND issues or to support identified groups of learners in school.

           Whole staff training to disseminate knowledge, strategies and experience, to ensure consistency of the school’s approach for children with SEND.

           Individual teachers and teaching assistants attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.

          Staff will liaise with outside agencies to ensure care plans are carried out appropriately and receive any necessary training that a care plan dictates.

           Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.

           Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs and increase your child’s access to what is on offer.

How will we measure the progress of your child in school? And how will I know about this?

           Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher as well as the SENCO and Head Teacher.

           His/her progress is reviewed formally every half term and currently, a National Curriculum level is given where the child meets these descriptors. 

           If your child is in Year 1 or above, but is not yet at National Curriculum levels, a more sensitive assessment tool is used (PIVATS) which shows their level in more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of progress.  The levels are called ‘P levels’.

           At the end of each key stage (year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed, using Standard Assessment Tests (SATs).  This is something the government requires all schools to do and the results published nationally.  The decision whether a child can access these tests will be in discussion with the SENCO, class teacher, Head Teacher and parent/guardian.

           Children with SEN support will have a PLP (Personal Learning Plan) which will be reviewed each term.  Parents are asked to read and sign copies of these.

           The progress of children with an EHCP (previously a statement) is formally reviewed with parental involvement at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.

           The SENCO will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual learning and in any group that they take part in.

           A range of ways will be used to keep you informed, which may include:

               Home / school contact book

               Letters / certificates sent home

               Additional meetings as required

               Annual Reviews

               End of year reports

What support do we have for you as a parent of child with an SEN / and or disabilities?

           We would like you to talk to your child’s class teacher regularly so we know what they are doing at home and we can tell you about what we are doing in school.  This is to ensure that we are doing similar things to support them both at home and school and can share what is working in both places.

           The SENCO (or Head Teacher) is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have.

           All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.  The SENCO will also arrange to meet with you to discuss any new assessments and ideas suggested by outside agencies for your child.

           PLP/IEP’s will be reviewed with your involvement each term.

           Home learning will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.

           Parents may be asked to complete a profile of their child which provides a broader picture of their child’s interests, skills, needs etc.

           In addition:

           The PLP will include strategies that you can also do at home with your child.

           External professionals will be happy to meet with you upon request.

           Details of parental training courses, from local providers, will be sent to you each term.

How have we made this school physically accessible to children with SEND?

           School is all one level therefore no stairs or lifts needed from one place to another.

           We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.

           The school has disabled toilet facilities.

           IT software and iPads/ computer workstations help to support children where applicable.

How will we support your child when they are leaving school OR moving on to another class?

We recognise that ‘moving on’ can be difficult for a child with SEN/ and or disabilities and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.

           If your child is moving to another school:

               *We will contact the new school’s SENCO and ensure s/he

                 knows about any special arrangements or support that need to

               be made for your child.

                *We will make sure that all records about your child are

               passed on as soon as possible.

          When moving classes in school:

               *Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN

               ADVANCE and in all cases, a planning meeting will take place

               with the new teacher.  All PLP’s will be shared with the new


                 *Parents, SENCO and new teacher meet in the summer term

               to prepare for change.

               *Training needs are identified for new staff and courses

               attended as soon as possible.

           *Physical changes are made in the new class during the

          summer holiday if necessary.

           In Year 6:

          *The SENCO will meet to discuss the specific needs of your

          child with the SENCO of their secondary school.

          *Where possible your child will visit their new school on

           several occasions and in many cases staff from the new school

          will visit your child in this school.

          *Your child will engage in transition activities with the whole




Pupils at St Lawrence Church of England Primary School are easy to distinguish by the personal qualities they present.They are happy, confident, articulate children with a love of learning.


St Lawrence CE Primary School
Jepps Ave, Barton, Preston
Louise Higham
01772 862664

Student Login